Thursday, August 5, 2010

Inspired

In December of 2009, I made a goal to eat better, exercise more and loose weight.  Whenever I would exercise in the past, I usually included running in my workout.  Never a lot, just enough to get a good cardio workout.  This time was no exception.  Over the past few months (as the weight started coming off), I felt better when I ran and that I was able to run longer and faster.  As of July 2010, I was up to running 3-5 miles, 3 to 5 days a week.

A month or two ago I heard about a book called "Born To Run" by Christopher McDougall.  I didn't give it much thought until a recent vacation to the beach.  Having forgot my running shoes, I decided to go running barefoot on the beach the first day.  It felt strange and very different from my usual running experience...but it was a very good experience.

I knew that "Born To Run" had something to say about a different way to run.  So while on vacation, I bought a copy of the book and began reading it.  As I was reading it, I kept thinking, "this makes a lot of sense".  So I did some quick research and found the Vibram FiveFingers running shoes.
They really aren't so much of a shoe as they are a glorified sock with some extra protection for the bottom of your foot.  But no padding.  I knew the basic concept was to run from toe to heal instead of heal to toe, and from all the reviews I read about the shoes, it seemed like these forced you to run that way.  Being the impulse person that I am, I ordered a pair (I needed new running shoes anyway, and these are about the same price as a new pair of sneakers).

So now, with new Vibrams on my feet, I thought I would document my running journey.  I have to admit that the book has inspired me.  I don't know that I want to be an ultra-marathon runner, but I think I would like to run a regular marathon someday.  For anybody who hasn't heard of an ultra-marathon (I hadn't until I started reading the book), they are crazy races, usually about 100 miles in length, that vary from running through woods and mountains to running on pavement to running through death valley (which by the way, that one is 120 miles long) or any combination of those!

On  your mark...get set...GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment