Monday, August 16, 2010

Back From The Montains

After a week at the mountains, it's good to be back to civilization.  We had a great time, but now it's back to work.  I managed to get 4 runs in last week.  I haven't done much hill running so last week was a bit challenging because of that.  But by the end of the week, I could notice an improvement.

The first day, I took Molly (our dog) with me.  She keep running in and out of the woods, so I had to keep stopping and making sure she was still following me.  At one point she just sat along side the road and stared at me as I kept running.  As soon as I couldn't see her, I turned around.

The second day, Molly followed me again, but I just left her do her thing.  By the time I turned around to head back to the cabin she had already went back.  Both days the hills were a little tough, but my calves were not feeling anything any more.  I can already tell that my legs and feet are strengthening.

The third and forth run last week felt good.  I felt better on the hills and the downhill sprint at the end of my run felt good.  Thank goodness the uphill part is the first half of the run.  I had hoped to get in a 5th run while there, but that didn't happen.  I never exceeded 1.5 miles.  I'm hoping to up my distance this week.  Since I don't really have any soreness in my legs or feet now, I might try bumping back up to 3 miles today.

My last post I had mentioned about how I thought it was easier to maintain the toe to heel method of running on the treadmill.  Well, I can confirm that it was just getting used to running in the Vibrams.  All last week I was either running on grass or a stone road and it was just as easy to run that way as it was on the treadmill the week before.  Today I will be back on the treadmill, so we'll see how that goes.

Update:  I ran 3 miles today.  Aside from the small blisters on my toes (guess I need to build up some callouses), I feel great.

No comments:

Post a Comment