Monday, October 25, 2010

Where Is My Trash?

Running long distances is almost as much a mind game as it is a physical challenge. Finding ways to occupy your mind while running for long periods of time can be quite difficult. For me, I have found "little landmarks". And by little landmarks, I mean pieces of trash laying along the side of the road.

I have a basic loop that I run almost every time I'm outside. It gets modified slightly and repeated depending on the distance I need to cover that day. Along my route, I have found 6-pack carriers, combs, cigar tubes, beer cans, gatorade bottles (not mine, I promise) and various other "landmarks". So it's almost like a scavenger hunt when I go running. Can I check off all the items on my list? Or will I run right past without taking notice?

I'm not sure how I'll be able to handle my actual race day when I'm on completely different territory. Maybe I should just keep a mental list as I'm running and see how many items I can remember when I finish. I'll try to post them here after the half-marathon in 2 weeks!

On another note, I ended up running 5 miles today. I was only supposed to run 3, but I don't have a 3 mile loop mapped out yet. And since it is so nice outside today, I just had to run outside instead of on the treadmill. The warm sun and little to no wind made today a very good day to be running outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment